On 28 August, Malar Trust India (MTI) received two awards from the Chengalpattu Department of Disability Welfare.
In the presence of the District Collector, the District Disability Welfare Officer and the Revenue Department Officer, MTI was recognised as one of the best non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Chengalpattu District for the help and support we provided to families with disabled members during the Covid 19 emergency. Our disability Project Manager Mr Ganesan also won an award for his work as a volunteer at district level.
The event was broadcast on local press and TV news (see the video).
MTI has been extremely active during the lockdown, working on behalf of the government and establishing good relationships with various charities which support people with disabilities.
Over a period of about two months we carried out the following tasks:
· distributed 5 kgs of rice to 400 disabled families;
· in association with the Society for Rights of All Women with Disabilities (SFRAWD), we distributed relief items (rice, oil, pulses and groceries) worth Rs. 2000 to 125 families;
· on behalf of the government we received relief materials from the District Disabled Rehabilitation Office (DDRO) and distributed them to 110 families;
· in collaboration with Apollo Pharmacy in Kelambakam, we distributed nutrient powder to 30 children with cerebral palsy;
· in collaboration with the Institution of Research and Development of Rural Poor (IRDRP), we distributed relief items worth Rs.1000 to 250 families;
· we assisted 105 people with disabilities to get relief items through the Government Help line (Tamil Nadu toll-free Number 1070, 1800425011) for disabled people.
· we helped more than a thousand disabled people from Thiruporur and Thirukkalukkunram areas to apply on-line and receive financial support from the government (Corona Relief fund of Rs1000, announced by the Government of Tamil Nadu for people with disabilities).
MTI is proud to receive these awards and very proud of the hard work of Mr Rupakanthan, Mr Ganesan and all its staff.